Orofacial clefts: treatment based on a multidisciplinary approach
ResumoObjective: The present study aims to expose through a literature review the cleft lip and/or cleft palate (CL/CP) and its treatment in a multidisciplinary approach. Methodology: This literature review was conducted by the leading health databases: Pubmed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed). The keywords for the textual search were: Cleft Lip; Cleft Palate; Dental Staff; Classification; Embryology. The inclusion criteria were: literature on the subject under study, literature of the last years, english language, laboratory and clinical studies and systematic review. Literature Review: Fissures can be defined by a space at the junction between two bones, usually where there would be a suture. Orofacial clefts are part of the congenital facial anomalies resulted from the non-junction of the embryonic facial processes. These changes occur due to an alteration in the migratory velocity of the neural crest cells, in charge of the phenomenon of fusion of the facial prominences between the 6th and 9thweek of embryonic life. Conclusion: The treatment of patients with orofacial clefts requires the approach of a multidisciplinary team that involves physicians in the area of plastic surgery, otorhinolaryngology, pediatrics, geneticists, dentists, prosthetics, nurses and speech pathologists, focusing on patient prevention, recovery and rehabilitation. However, further studies are needed for a better understanding of the subject and the steps that should be applied for each particular case.
Descriptors: Cleft Lip; Cleft Palate; Dental Staff; Classification; Embryology.
- Shaw WC, Brattström V, Mølsted K, Prahl-Andersen B, Roberts CT, Semb G. The Eurocleft study: intercenter study of treatment outcome in patients with complete cleft lip and palate. Part 5: discussion and conclusions. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2005;42(1):93-8.
- Friede H, Lilja J. The Eurocleft Study: Intercenter study of treatment outcome in patients with complete cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2005;42(4):453-54.
- Rosenstein SW, Grasseschi M, Dado D. The Eurocleft Study: Intercenter study of treatment outcome in patients with complete cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2005;42(4):453.
- Semb G, Brattström V, Mølsted K, Prahl-Andersen B, Zuurbier P, Rumsey N, Shaw WC. The Eurocleft study: intercenter study of treatment outcome in patients with complete cleft lip and palate. Part 4: relationship among treatment outcome, patient/parent satisfaction, and the burden of care. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2005;42(1):83-92.
- Watkins SE, Meyer RE, Strauss RP, Aylsworth AS. Classification, epidemiology, and genetics of orofacial clefts. Clin Plast Surg. 2014;41(2):149-63.
- Coleman JR Jr, Sykes JM. The embryology, classification, epidemiology, and genetics of facial clefting. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2001;9(1):1-13.
- Pengelly RJ, Arias L, Martínez J, Upstill-Goddard R, Seaby EG, Gibson J, Ennis S, Collins A, Briceño I. Deleterious coding variants in multi-case families with non-syndromic cleft lip and/or palate phenotypes. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30457.
- Ren Y, Steegman R, Dieters A, Jansma J, Stamatakis H. Bone-anchored maxillary protraction in patients with unilateral complete cleft lip and palate and Class III malocclusion. Clin Oral Investig. 2019;23(5):2429-2441.
- Alberconi TF, Siqueira GLC, Sathler R, Kelly KA, Garib DG. Assessment of Orthodontic Burden of Care in Patients With Unilateral Complete Cleft Lip and Palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018;55(1):74-78.
- Eriguchi M, Watanabe A, Suga K, Nakano Y, Sakamoto T, Sueishi K, Uchiyama T. Growth of Palate in Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Patients Undergoing Two-stage Palatoplasty and Orthodontic Treatment. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2018;59(3):183-91.
- Smane L, Pilmane M. Evaluation of the presence of MMP-2, TIMP-2, BMP2/4, and TGFβ3 in the facial tissue of children with cleft lip and palate. Acta Med Litu. 2018;25(2):86-94.
- AlHayyan WA, Pani SC, AlJohar AJ, AlQatami FM. The Effects of Presurgical Nasoalveolar Molding on the Midface Symmetry of Children with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: A Long-term Follow-up Study. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018;6(7):e1764.
- Thakur S, Singh A, Thakur NS, Diwana VK. Achievement in Nasal Symmetry after Cheiloplasty in Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Infants Treated with Presurgical Nasoalveolar Molding. Contemp Clin Dent. 2018;9(3):357-60.
- Turri de Castro Ribeiro T, Petri Feitosa MC, Almeida Penhavel R, Zanda RS, Janson G, Mazzottini R, Garib DG. Extreme maxillomandibular discrepancy in unilateral cleft lip and palate: Longitudinal follow-up in a patient with mandibular prognathism. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018;154(2):294-304.
- Perillo L, Vitale M, d'Apuzzo F, Isola G, Nucera R, Matarese G. Interdisciplinary approach for a patient with unilateral cleft lip and palate. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018;153(6):883-94.
- Hoffmannova E, Moslerová V, Dupej J, Borský J, Bejdová Š, Velemínská J. Three-dimensional development of the upper dental arch in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients after early neonatal cheiloplasty. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2018;109:1-6.
- Tan ELY, Kuek MC, Wong HC, Ong SAK, Yow M. Secondary Dentition Characteristics in Children With Nonsyndromic Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: A Retrospective Study. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018;55(4):582-89.
- Rodrigues R, Fernandes MH, Monteiro AB, Furfuro R, Sequeira T, Silva CC, Manso MC. SPINA classification of cleft lip and palate: A suggestion for a complement. Arch Pediatr. 2018;25(7):439-41.
- Ortiz-Posadas MR, Vega-Alvarado L, Maya-Behar J. A new approach to classify cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2001;38(6):545-50.
- Spina V, Psillakis JM, Lapa FS, Ferreira MC. Classificação das fissuras lábio-palatinas. Sugestão de modificação [Classification of cleft lip and cleft palate. Suggested changes]. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 1972;27(1):5-6.
- Allori AC, Mulliken JB, Meara JG, Shusterman S, Marcus JR. Classification of Cleft Lip/Palate: Then and Now. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017;54(2):175-88.
- Spina V. A proposed modification for the classification of cleft lip and cleft palate. Cleft Palate J. 1973;10:251-2.
- Yun-Chia Ku M, Lo LJ, Chen MC, Wen-Ching Ko E. Predicting need for orthognathic surgery in early permanent dentition patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate using receiver operating characteristic analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018;153(3):405-14.
- Garib D, Yatabe M, de Souza Faco RA, Gregório L, Cevidanes L, de Clerck H. Bone-anchored maxillary protraction in a patient with complete cleft lip and palate: A case report. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018;153(2):290-97.
- De Stefani A, Bruno G, Balasso P, Mazzoleni S, Baciliero U, Gracco A. Teeth agenesis evaluation in an Italian sample of complete unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Minerva Stomatol. 2018;67(4):156-64.
- Chang SY, Lonic D, Pai BC, Lo LJ. Primary Repair in Patients With Unilateral Complete Cleft of Lip and Primary Palate: Assessment of Outcomes. Ann Plast Surg. 2018;80(2S Suppl 1):S2-6.
- Vura N, Gaddipati R, Palla Y, Kumar P. An Intraoral Appliance to Retract the Protrusive Premaxilla in Bilateral Cleft Lip Patients Presenting Late for Primary Lip Repair. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018;55(4):622-25.
- Massie JP, Bruckman K, Rifkin WJ, Runyan CM, Shetye PR, Grayson B, Flores RL. The Effect of Nasoalveolar Molding on Nasal Airway Anatomy: A 9-Year Follow-up of Patients With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018;55(4):596-601.
- Jabbari F, Wiklander L, Reiser E, Thor A, Hakelius M, Nowinski D. Secondary Alveolar Bone Grafting in Patients Born With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: A 20-Year Follow-up. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018;55(2):173-79.
- Jones CM, Roth B, Mercado AM, Russell KA, Daskalogiannakis J, Samson TD, Hathaway RR, Smith A, Mackay DR, Long RE Jr. The Americleft Project: Comparison of Ratings Using Two-Dimensional Versus Three-Dimensional Images for Evaluation of Nasolabial Appearance in Patients With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate. J Craniofac Surg. 2018;29(1):105-8.
- Gatti GL, Freda N, Giacomina A, Montemagni M, Sisti A. Cleft Lip and Palate Repair. J Craniofac Surg. 2017;28(8):1918-24.
Não há dados estatísticos.
Matos, J. D. M. de, Nakano, L. J. N., Rodrigues, A. G., Pinto, A. D., Grande, M. F. B., Lopes, G. da R. S., & Andrade, V. C. (2020). Orofacial clefts: treatment based on a multidisciplinary approach. ARCHIVES OF HEALTH INVESTIGATION, 9(5), 468-473. https://doi.org/10.21270/archi.v9i5.4804
Artigos de Revisão